Child Support Issues for Married and Unmarried Parents

Whether you are going through divorce or you were never married to the other parent, Georgia law makes it clear that you have a responsibility to help provide for your children. If the children primarily live with you, the odds are that the other parent will have to pay child support. If not, you will likely have to pay.

Either way, the money is intended to provide for your children's needs. It's not a punishment that the court imposes upon one parent or the other.

At the Valdosta law firm of Gregory A. Voyles P.C. Attorney at Law, our attorneys have more than 50 years of combined experience in child support matters and other family law issues. We are proud to represent married and unmarried parents, military service members and other clients throughout the area.

Child Support Guidelines Make the Process Easier

When it comes to family law matters, child support is among the more simple to work out. The state publishes child support guidelines and worksheets, so we can help you obtain a fairly accurate estimate of what to expect from the courts in terms of a child support order.

This type of clarity is particularly beneficial for mediation and other negotiations outside of the courtroom. When everyone knows what the likely result would be if the court makes the determination, coming to an amicable agreement becomes a much simpler process. Our lawyers can represent you in mediation or in litigation regarding child support payments.

Modifying Existing Support Orders

If your circumstances have significantly changed since the original support order was issued, you may be able to request a child support modification. For instance, if you lost your job, you may be able to reduce the amount you have to pay each month. Likewise, if your child's needs change, you may be able to have the amount increased. Let our attorneys provide the guidance you need.

Get Tailored Advice in a One-On-One Consultation

Call Gregory A. Voyles P.C. Attorney at Law, at 229-232-8618 or email our Valdosta office to schedule a free consultation with one of our knowledgeable family law attorneys. We're ready to talk about your unique situation and answer your child support questions.